Monday, June 04, 2007

United Run for the Zoo 10K

I ran in my first 10K race yesterday. I was pleased to run the whole thing. I need to work on my willpower for training. I think that if I had been running by myself, I would've probably walked at a point or two. There was a spot around 4.5 miles that I had to really push through, but was happy I did it. The only walking I did was through the water stations, which, well, I have a hard time drinking while running, so I'm okay with that. I wasn't anywhere near the top of my age group (results here), but maintained my pace throughout: 10.5 minutes per mile. It was a lot of fun, and Heath and I spent a lot of time walking around the zoo since we had never been there. I highly recommend it to Chicago visitors. It's free and there is a lot to see. It's really quite nice and most of the animals were out. The only trick is getting down there - parking can be $$$. We had no sense of time, however, and ended up eating lunch at about 10:15. Whoops!! I'll have pics to post fairly soon (including one of me DURING the race right before the finish line - nicely done, Heath) and will add the link when they're up. Also, BEST RACE T-SHIRTS EVER! Nike Dri-Fit (retail for $40 - race entry was $25 booyah!), stretchy, slight camo pattern to the fabric, cool design, will definitely wear it often!

Link to Pictures