Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Swim Clinic

So, last night I had my second session of six at UIC with the CES swim class I'm taking. As a bonus, my new XM radio is finally working properly, which makes the commute there and back much nicer.

I really feel like I'm making gains in my swimming for the first time in a long time. I haven't been in the pool much, and until last night, I really felt like no matter what I did, I wasn't getting any faster. I didn't know what to do to improve my technique and form. I am able to build endurance over time, which is great, but it's discouraging to level off at a certain pace and not know where to go from there.

Last night we worked more on balance and rotation, which are critical. That's something that I've always been ok at. We also started counting strokes. My first try was 19 strokes/25yd in the high 20s for time. My second one was 17 strokes and 22 seconds. I think my stroke count is pretty decent so far.

Then we worked on pulling a bit. I feel this is an area where I need some help. I taught myself how to swim, and kind of made my best guess as far as arms were concerned. After just 1 tip from the coach last night, it felt COMPLETELY different. I felt like there was so much more power on every pull. It also worked some new muscles in my back, which is good. I'll need to practice it this week before my race on Sunday. I know my training this week is pretty much too little too late, but every little bit helps, especially with form and technique.

After class, the asst coach said I should join the master's swims at UIC. (Master's swims are where GOOD swimmers go to get better.) I don't know if I'm ready for something like that, yet, but he said I'd fit right in. I think I need to learn how to flip turn before I can join a master's group, but I'll ask him more about it next week.