Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I'm making some headway on the planning. I bought Joe Friel's Triathlon Training Bible, and have been going through that trying to set up my training plan. Part of the challenge is figuring out which races I really want to do and which races I can cut out. I'm also trying to decide whether to join USAT. So far it looks like I might be doing three triathlons that are USAT sanctioned, so it would make sense to join ($30 for annual membership or $10 fee for nonmembers to race in USAT races). I would be breaking even, so might as well get me a key fob and those other benefits. I'm also noticing that registration is open for several of the races I'm considering. I know some have a tendency to fill up quickly, so I should register ASAP. The funds are short at the moment, given the Christmas shopping I've been doing, but registering will lock me into participating and be that much more motivation!

I'm also struggling with how ambitious to be about the cycling races. There are several time trials in the area (well, sort of, close enough to drive to anyhow), which would be great prep for the triathlon bike portions. They range from 20 to 40K, and most of them fall earlier in the season than the triathlons I'm planning on. It's tempting to think about signing up for most of them, but will need to work it into the rest of my training plan.

On a training related note, I found out this morning that my personal trainer has left my gym. Now this could be a pro or a con. I was benefitting from the program he had me on, but I have been feeling it was more sprint focused than I necessarily want to be at this point. My newly assigned trainer (good thing I don't have any input here), said that she understands that I do marathons (come again? nope. not yet anyhow.) and that she can work with me blah blah... So needless to say there was a slight breakdown in communciation. I'll be sure to sit down with her and get things in order. Hopefully we can get me on the right track to support my actual goals.