Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Well here's my blog for tracking my progress as I train for triathlons and other races (running, cycling, etc.). I'm hoping it will keep me accountable and provide a place for me to be able to diary my experiences. I'll be forced to put my goals down in writing, which should make me more likely to stick to it!

As a bit of background, I decided I wanted to try triathlon last summer, so I signed up for a sprint distance event in the area. I had never liked running, especially running for the sake of running, and had never run over a mile straight. Biking seemed pretty straightforward, so I wasn't too concerned about that, and I had done a little swimming when playing water polo in high school, so I wasn't terrified of that. I trained for 5 or so weeks, and met all my goals for the race. The run portion scared me to death, so I ended up going too easy on the bike leg, but I'll get better and better at pacing myself over time. Overall, I had a blast and am determined to improve my speed and endurance, participating more triathlons in 2007, including some longer distance ones.

I've let myself fall a bit out of shape in the last few months, but I joined a gym and am excited to be getting back into it. I need to build a solid aerobic base (which I'm awful at - I always go too hard and too fast), and work on improving my technique and efficiency in all three sports. Those are what I'm focusing on at this point. The main thing is for me to pace myself and build slowly and steadily.