Thursday, February 15, 2007

How can three bikes possibly be enough? I need at least two more - at LEAST. :) Yes, I have managed to collect three bikes in the past year, and yes, I still feel that I need more. I can justify all this, really. Honest, I can.

First I got my hybrid/comfort bike, which is great for fitness and recreational riding on the limestone paths, etc. It even carried me through my first triathlon, so I love it for that reason. However, as people flew past me on road bikes, tri-bikes, in aero position, I felt like a gigantic sail and was ready to upgrade.

So, I got myself a road bike. I got a deal on a quite nice road bike, a Kestrel Talon. Full carbon frame, with Ultegra 10-Speed components, aero tubing, internal cabling. Very nice. I adore it and am able to slap some Carbon Stryke's on there and get into aero to reduce that whole frontal surface area wind drag thing.

But, seeing as how that is such a nice bike, I was quite scared at the prospect of taking it to Ireland with me (and to and from there), where it might be left outside, be in the elements a lot, etc. So, I remembered a friend of mine was looking to sell his road bike since it was too small for him. Turns out it fits me just fine and is a perfect "beater" bike for Ireland, bad weather rides, the trainer, etc. It needs to be cleaned up a bit, but is nice (aluminum with carbon fork and stays, carbon seatpost, 105 components, some cool looking wheels).

So here's where I'm at now. I'm sure all of you (whoever you are) are VERY aware (/sarcasm) that road bikes are not the ideal mode of transport for multisport athletes. The seat tube angles, aero position, and how that impacts the muscle groups, which then impacts the muscles for the run, etc etc. Thus, I need a Tri-Bike or Time Trial (TT) bike. These have a steeper seat tube angle, bar end shifters at the ends of the aerobars (so you don't have to go un-aero to shift), and well I think those are the main differences. The one pictured below is the Cervelo Dual, which consistently pops up as a favorite of mine with glowing reviews, good looks, great components, and a decent price point. At $1800 with Dura-Ace components, this bike is practically a steal. That may seem like a ton of money to some, but, trust me, I can find bikes that cost more than my car (and I don't drive too bad a car). I'm pretty sure my budget will require me to wait until next season for a tri bike, but I had a little down time this afternoon and felt like posting this. And wow did it get long!


(p.s. Isn't it pretty? /drooooool)
(p.p.s. I also "need" a mountain bike, but hopefully my old Trek back in Michigan is salvageable! Hmm that actually means I own four bikes...)