Tuesday, March 13, 2007

I've been quite proud lately for how much I've been teaching myself about taking care of my bikes. I'm not terribly knowledgeable yet, but I'm getting better. It's pretty satisfying to be able to fix or adjust something by myself. Plus, it's going to make me feel a whole lot better on longer rides (like in Ireland), knowing that I will be equipped to deal with mechanical issues should they arise. Tonight I decided to work on the brakes on my 2nd bike (the one I'm taking overseas). When I was putting new tires on yesterday, I noticed the brake pads were set way too tight, even with the quick release levers open. I managed to mess around with the cables and the various adjustments to get them working properly. I also cleaned up the drivetrain, which was really gross and gunked up. Now it's all shiny and clean. This weekend I'll be looking at and working on my old mountain bike at my parents' house in Michigan. I'm hoping it's still in decent shape and I can get it cleaned up and in good working condition without putting too much money into it.